Do we hate beautiful women?

Monday, 23 April 2012

When you see a beautiful woman on the train or bus, or perhaps in a restaurant, is your first reaction one of envy or are you silently admiring how great she looks? If you're anything like me, it'll be a mix of both.

But whether you would tear down the woman in front of you just out of resentment is an issue being debated following the publication of an article by journalist Samantha Brick on the Daily Mail, who moans: "Why women hate me for being beautiful".

Now such a headline isn't particularly endearing to her cause - especially as the idea of beauty is relative - but Samantha's gripe is that she's lost friends because they've been too jealous to cope with her 'beauty' and the attention it garners. Twitter, Facebook and almost every single woman and some men even that read the article are frothing at the mouth.

I think the backlash against this - and some naughty comment writers have asked whether the article is an April's Fool joke - is largely because it tars and feathers any woman who doesn't fall into the 'beautiful' category. And that it insinuates most of us are so cripplingly insecure, that we get our jollies from poking fun at other women better looking than ourselves.

Most of us like to pride ourselves on not being that staggeringly superficial. There's a reason why men joke about women saying our friends have 'nice personalities', because for us, friendship love is blind. Our female relationships are built on stronger stuff than looks.



Megan Fox
Image by Reuters

Stunner Megan Fox has recently defended herself against quotes made in Jalousie magazine, where she apparently said she wouldn't "trade places with an ugly girl". She said there was a mistake in translation and that she's "never made vapid self-serving comments."

And there you have it, ladies, from the mouths of one of the world's sexiest women.

To say that other women have a problem with your beauty, completely undermines the sisterhood (by saying we're that superficial) and says very little about you as a person, if your beauty is mainly how you define yourself in the world.

So, tell me. Does the backlash against Samantha Brick prove that we discriminate against other women? Or does it prove that we just don't like women who are uppity about their looks?


4 comments:

  1. sometimes when I see ridiculously pretty girls I'm like "wow, I'm really inspired by her hair/make up/ outfit" but I have to admit that other times I'm like looking for faults in them just to make myself feel better x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you Char, it is human nature to feel a little bit intimidated by someone that is looking their best. But we should just work on ourselves and our confidence, because it is our confidence that shines through moreso than what we wear. Thanks for your comments ;)

      Delete
  2. this is a really interesting post. I missed everything that happened with Samantha Brick but it sounds horrendous. Everyone is beautiful and unique and anyone who is going to be friends with someone based on their looks is clearly ridiculous!
    <3 Holz oxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Holly! I missed it too until I stepped into my workplace and everyone went bonkers about it. The men moreso than the ladies! I think that she made a serious error and is a little bit silly in thinking herself so beautiful. But she sure knows how to cause upset!

      I love complimenting others on their looks, and sometimes there is a twinge of jealousy hehe. Nothing major though. I actually stopped being friends with someone because they were so obsessed with outshining me, my confidence was knocked. Now I feel loads better! :)

      Have a nice day and thanks for commenting! :D

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS