Animal Cruelty

Thursday, 19 April 2012

I'd like to apologise for a slightly later than normal post.  I had something else scheduled which will now be slotted in on Saturday 21 April 2012.  So please check back for that post.

After reading my friend Yolandie's blog today, again I felt inspired to get the word out to as many people as possible on the subject of Animal Cruelty.  I just felt that it needs to be shared as widely as possible. 

I'm certainly not trying to copy her post, merely trying to make sure that as many people realise how grave the situation actually is in the cosmetics industry.  It is high time that we sourced our cosmetics in a much more rational and logical way and I feel that by Yolandie talking about this subject so passionately it just shows that she is doing just that! 

Please have a read of her blog and this particular topic she has talked about, just click here.  I would also like to urge fellow bloggers (no matter what your preferred topic for your blog consists of) to please spread the word and also talk as passionately about this subject to your followers.

By tagging lots of people in this way and making them aware of the situation, there will be so much more of an impact on these horrendous companies to at the very least alter the conditions these poor animals are in, and at most stop the cosmetics companies from testing on animals.

Don't misunderstand me, as a scientist I understand that a certain amount of animal testing is inevitable especially in markets like pharmaceuticals.  But this situation has become ridiculous and callous.  This is also true when it comes to the slaughter of animals in very malliciously cruel ways for their furs.  I can't handle that sort of cruelty and thus steer clear of watching any sort of videos that contain that sort of content. 

I've made that mistake only once, and I actually wanted to vomit.  I was dizzy, sweaty and sick to my stomach.  Since that day, I vowed to have a lot more compassion for all of the living beings out there (or animals).

Funnily enough, when buying cosmetics and cleaning products I have opted more and more for cruelty-free items.  Sure, I haven't gone cold-turkey, but the process is gradually snow-balling.

Things like my shampoo and conditioners, as well as my skincare routine has all moved to cruelty-free, where I now only buy Liz Earle products.  I've also moved my cosmetics on to buy more expensive cruelty-free products like Nars, Urban Decay, The Body Shop, Burt's Bees and Dermalogica.  Also Stila Cosmetics, Jane Iredale, Too Faced, Mario Badescu and Murad.  There are plenty of alternative products to buy, where the cosmetics industry DOES NOT HARM ANIMALS.

Drug store brands seem to be the worse offenders.  However a list of cruelty-free drug store brands include:  Almay, Carmex, Dr. Hauschka, Hard Candy, Palmer's, Prestige and Soap 'n Glory.  These will be the only brands I buy.

I'm sorry if any body doesn't much agree with my opinions that I voiced here, but they will not change.  Sure you can say that a rat is a rodent, but who said that a rat should be the industry standard to be tested on?  Yes, there are plenty of rodents - but it still makes me sick. 

I'm not a vegetarian, I'm not an agent for PETA (and never will be)  and I'm not some sort of angel on the matter.  But I do believe that every being on this earth deserves to be respected.  Injecting shampoo into a rabbit's eye is not respect. 

I've said my piece and hope that you will carry the message on.  I'm just desperate to help those people that truly want to make a difference.  Single-handly you can't make a difference, however as a group - your voice WILL be heard.

Please let me know your thoughts, and also link me in if you have shared this message.

I appreciate your time and effort to read this post.

Kindest Regards



2 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely. I'm not a vegetarian, or a PETA agent. I honestly don't have too much respect for PETA, since they make a lot of noise and love to protest, but never really get things done.

    I also agree that testing in medical facilities is a whole other ballgame, and I won't even try to go there.

    But testing in cosmetic facilities is still redundant and cruel. Especially since there are other testing methods available out there. And since I work in the cosmetic industry, I feel that this is where, even someone as little as me, can make a difference.

    Spreading the word on animal testing is important, and I commend you for raising your voice.

    Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for leaving a message on my blog. I really do understand completely where you are coming from on your blog and that is why I decided to 'talk' about it on my blog too.

      Hopefully with a blog tag, we can make a massive difference.

      Thanks for bringing up this subject, and not being afraid of voicing your opinion.

      Have a great day! :)

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS