Summery Beauty Products

Monday, 2 July 2012


What does summer smell like? Look like? Feel like? Chances are the words "coconut," "tropical," "beach," "sand," "bright," and "colorful" came to mind. At least that's what I think of when I think summer. Of course, the season is just around the corner, so it's not hard to get into the summery spirit. But what about the other times of year, when summer seems as distant as the sun?

I have good news. I found 10 beauty products to put you in the summery mood no matter where you are and what the season. That means, as you watch the snow drifts pile up against your window, just a spritz of one of the summer fragrance picks will transport you onto a Caribbean beach, while a certain body scrub will leave your skin silky and smooth, ready to be sun kissed.

Of course, I didn't just concentrate on skin and scent. My roundup also includes makeup, nail polish, hair products, and shower gels, guaranteed to evoke that summery feeling. That's not to say you shouldn't use these products during those warm months -- that's how they made my list!

And since each season means something different to everyone, I want to know: What's your favorite "feels like summer" beauty product? Am I missing anything on my list? Leave your answer in the comment box below.

Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Lotion Sunscreen

I can't think of another product that reminds me of summer as much as Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen. (Try Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Lotion Sunscreen, £14.99.) It could be the scent (exotic botanicals) or the ultra-moisturizing formula (sun protection + lotion = amazing); either way I love this summer staple.

Plus, when it's winter, and your skin feels almost reptilian, slather on some of this lotion. It will work wonders on your skin -- and your mood, since one whiff will instantly transport you to the shores of Waikiki.



Benefit Hoola Bronzing Powder

Skip the spray tan. Instead, try Benefit Hoola Bronzing Powder, £23.50, to recreate that warm summer glow year round. Unlike other bronzers, this product doesn't contain any sparkle or shimmer, just pure matte color. That means it'll look like you just stepped off the plane from your Caribbean vacation, and didn't just swipe on some powder. (I won't tell.)








Philosophy Salt Water Taffy Set

You don't need to live near the boardwalk to experience the joy that is salt water taffy. All you need is a bathtub and the Philosophy Salt Water Taffy Set, 3 for £35. This trio of shampoo, shower gel, and bubble bath comes in three scents (or should I say flavors?): strawberry, lemon, and lime. As you rub these moisturizing suds into your skin and scalp, you can't help but smile. After all, salt water taffy is the ultimate summer candy.




Nars Monoi Body Glow II

Want to smell like summer? Yes, summer does have a smell ... and it's kind of like Nars Monoi Body Glow II, £44. This product is multipurpose body oil from French Polynesia that helps hydrate and soothe skin. And it's got an amazing scent -- a mix of the Tahitian gardenia (tiare flower) and refined coconut extract. Plus, each bottle has a tiare flower, which is pretty cool if you ask me.

I don't know what's better -- smelling like a floral tropical paradise or having beautiful glowing skin? Doesn't matter, I'll take both.





Frederic Fekkai Summer Hair Collection

Frederic Fekkai has an entire line of products dedicated to summer hair. (Reason number 356 why I love this man.) My favorite product is called Beach Waves, £16.95, and it's perfect for when you want to look like you just spent the day by the water. Instead of creating a smooth curl, it gives you a texturized, tousled wave. And did I mention it smells like coconut?



Wet n Wild Mega Slicks Lip Gloss and Juicy Lip Balm SPF 15

This next product will not only transport you to those summer months, but also back to teenage-hood. Wet n Wild has had a rebirth of sorts, and we're in love with the Mega Slicks Lip Gloss, £1.99, and the Juicy Lip Balm SPF 15, £3.29.

The Mega Slicks come in bright, tropical colors like Cherry Glaze and Candy Apple, while the Juicy Lip Balms offer a slight tint with yummy flavors like Strawberry and Watermelon. And after rediscovering these old-school classics, I have to say I don't know why I ever forgot about them in the first place.


Bobbi Brown Beach Body Scrub

Just like Frederic Fekkai, makeup queen Bobbi Brown has an entire line dedicated to summer beauty products. My top pick is her Beach Body Scrub, £31. It's an amazing exfoliator tinged with Brown's signature beach scent -- light and not overpowering, a definite bonus. The orange peel and pumice will help smooth your skin (goodbye flakes), while the shea butter and essential oils moisturize









Butter London Spring/Summer Collection 2012

Tropical scents and beachy waves aren't the only things that bring us back to summer. Sometimes it's all about color. Butter London Spring/Summer Collection 2012, £12 each, has five new nail polish shades that will definitely transport you to warmer weather.

Even the names are fun and carefree, like Disco Biscuit, a tropical hot pink with iridescent glitter, and Trout Pout, a sheer cantaloupe shade. Or you could just make your nails look like shimmery oyster shells with Knackered. Can you get more beachy than that?




Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray

Don't know how to surf? No worries. Sexy, wind-swept hair can be yours with a few pumps of Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray, £19.50. Its salt formula gives your hair that "day at the beach" look (think texture, fullness, and volume), while the seaweed and kelp extracts moisturize your hair.



Saffron James Nani Fragrance Eau de Parfum

Saffron James Parfums are a line of fragrances inspired by the flowers of Hawaii, like plumeria, pineapple leaf, passion flower, and hibiscus. Sound like summer to you? Thought so. I'm are especially entranced by the Saffron James Nani Parfum, £40, a scent that blends elements of jasmin, plumeria, and citrus. Spray some on and mix yourself a pina colada, tiny umbrella optional.   Unfortunately this is quite difficult to find outside of the US, but it smells soo darn good!





2 comments:

  1. ooh, really want to try hoola! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :) but I've heard mixed reviews on the Hoola range :)

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS