We have so many reasons to love London and the UK: "Downton Abbey," Kate and William, Adele, Harry Potter. In honor of the 2012 Olympics, I've rounded up a few of my favorite British beauty products and trends, since it's no secret that us Brits know beauty.
I realised just how much us British know beauty when I studied abroad in London during college. After a semi-gross meal of bangers and mash at a pub, I wandered into a Boots pharmacy. I was amazed at the endless selection of awesome products in the makeup aisle. When it came to London's fashion and beauty, the city had me covered.
From Twiggy's mod influence to English products like Butter London nail polish, I have compiled the ultimate list of British beauty trends and products that I think deserve a shiny gold medal.
No. 1: Kate Middleton
What is it about British royalty that has us so utterly obsessed? Maybe it has something to do with Kate Middleton's relaxed elegance and sophistication. Or maybe I just love that the Duchess of Cambridge is a down-to-earth girl who wears Zara skinny jeans and shops at the grocery store. She's just like us. Well ... sort of.No. 2: Butter London's Olympic Collection
Butter London is paying homage to its hometown by releasing a special "Olympic Heavy Metal collection." Gold is the goal for an athlete, but in this case the bronze, silver, and gold colors are all equally shiny and pretty. And remember, you can always mix metallics, so there's nothing wrong with wearing 'em all at once.No. 3: Vidal Sassoon's Wedge Bob
Vidal Sassoon was a visionary London hair stylist who invented the ultra-popular geometric wedge bob in the 1960s. It's still considered edgy and chic today (Victoria Beckham's angled bob is a modern spin on it). While I may not be able to pull off this daring look myself, I still feel chic using his namesake product line.No. 4: Burberry Lip Cover
Burberry's timeless style makes it the ultimate luxury British brand. A new Burberry trench coat would wipe out my bank account, but the Burberry Lip Cover lipstick is much more affordable at only £20.28. The hydrating formula goes on silky smooth and it comes in 30 pretty shades.No. 5: Twiggy
In the 1950s the curvy Marilyn Monroe figure was all the rage, but when rail-thin Twiggy walked on the scene in the '60s, the modeling world was completely transformed. You can easily steal Twiggy's signature mod style (even if you've got more of a Marilyn figure) by pairing a shift mini dress with heavy mascara and eyeliner.No. 6: Soap and Glory Facial Scrub
Cheeky and fun, the Soap and Glory brand embodies the British sense of humor. This exfoliator is titled, "The Greatest Scrub of All," £9, which sounds a tad presumptuous, but it does leave you squeaky clean and so we think it lives up to its grand name.No. 7: Jo Malone Bath Oil
I don't actually drop fresh rose petals in the tub when I take a bath (does anyone?), but with the Jo Malone Red Roses Bath Oil, £38, it feels like I did. It's impossible to feel stressed out after a bath in this stuff. It must be how every Brit stays so cool, calm, and collected.No. 8: Downton Abbey Fashion
It seemed like I was the only one in the world not watching "Downton Abbey," and when I finally caught up, I was hooked. Who knew BBC could be so fashionable? Sure, the main reason to tune in is the WWI drama, but I'm even more interested in the intricate hairstyles and dresses.No. 9: Rimmel London Mascara
Adele is one of my favorite Brits, and while I'll never sound like her when I sing in the shower, at the very least I can achieve her long lashes with the Rimmel London Lash Accelerator, £8.99.No. 10: Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish
Nothing removes my stubborn mascara like the Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish, £14.25, and it's still super gentle on my skin. Plus, this English brand just won a UK Beauty Award for being one of the best products of the last 20 years. Not too shabby.No. 11: Boots Body Butter
Boots Pharmacy has been around London for more than 160 years. That's an insanely long time. It's a great go-to British brand for beauty staples like this nourishing Boots Body Butter, £5.62, with natural honey extract.No. 12: Elaborate Hats
Other than weddings or ladies day at the races, we don't wear hats that often in the U.K. But the British have mastered the art of elaborate hat wearing especially the Royals. Ribbons, feathers, flowers, birds' nests ... really anything goes.No. 13: Mason Pearson Hairbrushes
The Mason Pearson Brush, £38, is the Cadillac of hairbrushes. The bristles leave your hair looking healthy and shiny. No snags or snarls. Yes, the price is pretty outrageous, but it'll last forever so it's worth the splurge if you can swing it.No. 14: Alexander McQueen Skull Clutch
Typically skulls scare me. But somehow, when they are adorned in crystals atop an Alexander McQueen clutch, they're not so frightening.No. 15: Illamasqua Cream Blusher
Simply dab and blend this Illamasqua Cream Blusher, £16.50, with your fingers for highlighted cheekbones and a rosy glow. It's a delightfully easy process, which makes sense since the Brits are all about fuss-free beauty.I'm so excited for the Queen's Golden Jubilee, and thus I celebrate everything that is great about Great Britain. Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!
What do you like about Britain?
















No comments:
Post a Comment